Monday, June 4, 2012

Monday June 4, 2012

FOR TODAY

Outside my window...showers, 52 degrees, perfect garden and grass growing weather!

I am thinking...who drank all my coffee? oh wait, it was me.

I am thankful...for wool socks.

In the kitchen...glorious peony bouquet on the counter, picked by my three year old girl.  made banana bread yesterday, making indonesian rice salad for dinner tonight.  do you know about meatless mondays? http://www.meatlessmonday.com/
check it out! for your health, for the health of the planet, eating no meat for monday makes a lot of sense.

I am wearing...the aforementioned wool socks, upcycled jean shorts (that's fancy for tailored cutoffs!) and a handed down orange chenille sweater, the ultimate in rainy morning wear.

I am creating...a business plan. i want to work from home.

I am going...to try to avoid reading the internet headlines until lunch. trying to get some work done here!

I am wondering...if all the daisies will bloom at the same time?

I am reading...reference books, cookbooks, children's books. i detect a rut? i should go to the library this week....

I am hoping...by making small changes that we can all make this place better for the next generations.

I am looking forward to...a hoedown, shindig, blowout, rollicking good time this saturday night! i am throwing my own birthday party! (with tons of support and help from my husband of course!)

I am learning... about honeybees!  i need to practice going inside the hives more! and trying to freak out less while doing it. it is a delicate and rather elegant operation. lately i have been a bull in a china shop.

Around the house...sweet nornor eating her breakfast while watching her program, laudry machine humming along and the coffee pot ticking it's timer. can't hear much from outside, as i have the windows closed against the cold and damp this morning.

I am pondering... The loss of noisy ol' Buckwheat (the Guinea Hen) has disappeared. This is day three, I don't think she's coming back. Melancholy farm moment.

The bright side is: we have a broody hen!  This is her THIRD year of motherhood. That's a lot for a chicken. I will do the same thing I did last year. In three weeks, all the eggs she is sitting on will miraculously "hatch" 6 baby guinea keets!
It's a frantic moment, but so sweet!  I will pick up the keets at the farm store on friday, and set my alarm for 4 or 5am Saturday morning.  I pack up the keets in a box, carry them out to the chicken house and shove them under broodys butt!  Usually she has a moment of "EEK! what is going on!?" then the sweet part: she makes a funny almost purr, and plops her feathery butt right on top of the babies and immediately starts to mother them.

A favorite quote for today...“You can observe a lot just by watchin’.”-yogi berra

One of my favorite things...the veery.
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Veery/id
"..the Veery is the least spotted of all the American spotted thrushes and one of the easiest to identify."

A few plans for the rest of the week:
finish planning and execute the party
plant more seeds and seedlings

A peek into my day...dress up trunk was thoroughly tested this weekend.







1 comment:

upinthemts said...

Please let this be the Christmas card this year. Best photo ever!